Time Management – what does it mean for you?
Did anyone ever say to you “time is money?” or “There’s never enough time?” Julia Russell started her workshop with these words. During the next 45 minutes Julia gave us some extremely valuable advice on how to run our lives (not just our businesses!)
We choose to spend our time based on our own set of rules and beliefs. These are ingrained and can stem from childhood.
Based on our values we need to ask the question “What is important to me?” Are we spending time on what is important to us or are we being distracted?
Rather than using a todo list Julia suggests setting intentions every evening:
- Choosing one thing to accomplish tomorrow
- Making it achievable
- If you achive it, do more
- If not, do it again
- Start small and build up.
Focus and Mindset
The brain can remember up to 9 pieces of information at a time (any more make it difficult)
The Pareto rule states that 80% of your results come from 20% of effort:
- Focus on that 20%
- Look for patterns in results
- What do I do well
- Be selective not exhaustive
Remember what you focus on, you get more of:
- Think of a glass half full rather than half empty.
- Mindset is all important – remember to think positive
- We have a limited attention span – 45 minutes is the
- maximum time before overload
Set an outcome for your actions.
- This should be stated in the positive – where, when and with whom
- How will I know when I’ve got it?
- Use simple sentences
- Is it urgent or important or both?
- Avoid procrastination
- Mind-maps can be a useful way to visualize your goals.
- Spend time planning at the beginning of a project.
The key is not to prioritize what is on your schedule but to schedule your priorities
Think “What is stopping me from doing this?”
If you can delegate/subcontract things to others.
Julia has a team of people who do different things for her “Team Julia”
5 Great Tips to have more time
- Set intentionms for the day (clearly articulated)
- Be present and engaged
- Learn to say no
- Create enriching free time (slow down and be more productive)
- Really understand that you control your time and not the other way around
Our next meeting is on Thursday 23 October when Debbie Buckley will be talking about “Referral Marketing – The Power of Recommendation“. Book your place here