I would like to thank Denise Molloy for sharing this blog post with us:
Tell us what is your least favorite task?
In my last blog I asked what makes you procrastinate, defined as putting off doing things needlessly. I suggested looking at the benefits of doing something and the consequences of not doing it as a way prioritising your time.
So what stopped me writing my blog last week?
I didn’t do a blog as my VA Lauren, who normally posts it on WordPress, is away so I didn’t have my normal deadline. But when all is said and done, writing is not my favourite activity. I like to be in front of people, to listen and interact. I prefer to be with people than write so that’s what I did and I had no one to be accountable to but myself. But I recognise the merits of blogging in my business so I know I need to knuckle down and write. Once I get immersed into it I’m fine!
So here are 5 key tips to get you and me going on tasks that may not be our favourite activity!
- Firstly, make sure you are the only one who has to do the task – delegate what you can so you spend time on what only you can do
- Know how long the task should take you and schedule time in your diary to get it done
- If you answer to no one but yourself, find yourself an accountability buddy with whom you can agree deadlines, someone who you know will chase you up!
- Consider the task as you would an important prospect so you don’t put it off or reschedule
- Focus all your energy of getting that task completed in the time you allocated
Denise Molloy is a business and personal performance coach who works with small business owners to be more productive and profitable. Find out more about how she can support you and your business here